President Joko Widodo (right) is seen receiving a photo from the Coordinating Minister of Economy, Darmin Nasution (left), when he visited an exhibition of infrastructure photographs in the National Monument (Monas), Jakarta, Sunday (27/8). (ANTARA)
JAKARTA, GRES.NEWS – President Joko Widodo (Jokowi) has instructed police officers to take down the clients and funders of hoax and hate speech syndicate in the social media, Saracen. He considers that the activity of Saracen that spreads hoaxes in mass media is terrifying.
"I have ordered the National Police Chief to take down not only Saracen but the ones who organize them and pay them, they have to be shut down," Jokowi said at Lapangan Silang Monas, Central Jakarta, Sunday (27/8).
Jokowi asserts that social media can trigger conflicts if it were used as a facility to spread hoaxes, just like what Saracen did.
"Individuals can trigger conflicts if the information were incorrect, untrue, and even misleading. It could be worse with an organized criminal. This is terrifying. If we ignore them, things will get worse," Jokowi said firmly.
Previously, the National Police spokesperson Com. Awi Setiyono said that Saracen offers numerous packages in their hoax business to their clients. Generally, the amount of money that has to be paid to them reaches Rp72 million.
Rp15 million of the total money is used to make a website. Buzzers who operate in the social media to spread contents that offend ethnicity, religion, race, and class (SARA) are usually paid Rp45 million for 15 people in one project.
"To make a buzzer that consists of 15 people who are paid for Rp45 million per month," Awi explained at the National Police Headquarters, Friday (25/8). (dtc/rm)