Telkom Recovers All Customer Service Sites

Monday, 11 September 2017 , 09:00:00 WIB -

Communications and Informatics Minister Rudiantara (right), Telkom President Director Alex J. Sinaga (second right), Telkom Wholesale & International Service Director Abdus Somad Arief (second left), and Telkom Network & IT Solution Director Zulhelfi Abidin (left) is seen giving a statement about the progress of Telkom 1 satellite service recovery at TelkomGroup Crisis Center, Graha Merah Putih, Jakarta, Tuesday (5/9). (ANTARA)

JAKARTA, GRES.NEWS – Telkom finally completes recovering customer service sites, particularly thousands of offline ATMs caused by an anomaly on Telkom 1 satellite. The recovery of 15,019 customer service sites was completed before September 10, 2017. The service recovery is completed on time, right on the target set since the issue came up.

11,574 sites are for ATM services, and the remaining 3,445 are not ATM services. The ATM services are owned by big banks like BCA, Mandiri, BRI, BNI, and BTN.

"We were all out for the recovery because repointing process is not easy. Execution is not the only difficult process, but also reaching the position," said the President Director of Telkom, Alex J. Sinaga, at Graha Merah Putih, Jakarta, Sunday (11/9).

Further, Alex said that the biggest obstacle faced by his technicians in the repointing process is not shifting the VSAT according to the used transponder, but non-technical factors like the weather and regions that are hard to reach.

"In east Indonesia and border areas, for instance. It takes longer to reach the location than to repoint the customers’ sites antenna. Repointing process only takes 2-3 hours. However, reaching the location takes 2-3 days," he explained.

Alex also told about the islands that are hard to be reached by his technicians. For instance, Masalembu Archipelago, Telkom had to borrow the National Military’s (TNI) ship for more than once because the weather wasn’t good.

"It didn’t black out there because Telkomsel’s service for the region uses Telkom 3S satellite. So does Papua, particularly in Pani and Beras Island, we will complete it tonight because of the weather," Alex added.

In fact, not all of them are customers of Telkom because some of them are customers who use the service of the other VSAT providers that become customers of Telkom 1 satellite transponder. Eight of 63 Telkom 1 customers are VSAT providers.

However, the impact was huge and affects customers, especially banks. On top of that, all of them depend on Telkom 1 satellite, and Telkom has to be responsible for the problem.

Starting from building the Crisis Center to deploying the best 2,105 personnel to fix the issue. Telkom did everything to recover the services on time.

Moving to Other Satellites

Antenna repointing is the solution reached by Telkom to reset the customers’ VSAT antenna. The antenna pointed to Telkom 1 satellite, and now they point to Telkom 2 and Telkom 3S satellites.

Some antennas in certain regions were also repointed to foreign-owned satellites, such as Apstar and ChinaSAT. 70% of the antennas were repointed to Telkom 2 and Telkom 3S satellite, and the remaining 30% were repointed to the foreign-owned satellites.

However, repointing was not the only solution. Only about 81% of the solution is antenna repointing. 5% of the network was moved to fiber optic connection, and the remaining 14% were moved Machine to Machine (M2M) to Telkomsel cellular connection.

"This is just a temporary solution according to the agreement with customers. Therefore, this Crisis Center will continue to exist for the next two months to monitor and help our customers and reach a permanent solution," Alex stated. (dtc/mag)

Comments