A pedestrian is seen walking on the sidewalk of Tanah Abang, Jakarta, Monday (18/7). (ANTARA)
JAKARTA, GRESNEWS.COM – The Provincial Prosecutor’s Office of Jakarta on 18 July 2016 has named three suspects in the sidewalk project of the Road Construction (Bina Marga) of South Jakarta. They are Irfan Ardi Tasya, Perdana Marcos and Cecep.
The office’s Chief Justice, Sarjono Turin, said Irfan has been detained for investigation purposes since last week. We want to solve the case as soon as possible, he said to the media, Thursday (4/8).
The suspects have been named after investigators questioned 20 witnesses, including Head of the Road Construction (Bina Marga) of South Jakarta. In the alleged corruption, it is estimated that the government lost Rp3.5 billion (US$267,125).
The corruption occurred after the company that won the bid to execute the project delegated its responsibility to another private company. As a result, the project has been running behind schedule. The project commenced in October 2015 and was supposed to be completed in December 2015.
Prosecutors also found that the suspects manipulated a document that reported the progress of the project. The document states that the project is 70 percent completed while prosecutors found in the field that the actual figure is 30 percent.
Meanwhile, the Mayor of South Jakarta, Tri Kurniadi, said the sidewalk project that extends Fatmawati, Cipete, Cilandak, Karang Tengah and Lebak Bulus will be continued despite the investigation. He added that the contract with PT IM would only be terminated once the prosecutors find evidence that the company breached its contract.